Dear Colleagues – Due to the increased number of COVID-19 cases, on July 28, 2021 the Center for Disease Control (CDC) provided updated guidance on face coverings/masks that recommends all individuals – vaccinated or unvaccinated – wear masks while in indoor public settings if they live in an “area with substantial or high transmission”. Unfortunately, Orange County is currently identified as an area with high transmission rates. Based on these changes, all NOCCCD employees and students— whether vaccinated or unvaccinated —will be required to wear masks while on campus beginning Monday, August 2, with the following exceptions:
- When working in your own workspace and not within 6 feet of others
- Instructors who are vaccinated may remove their masks while teaching if they remain 6 feet away from students
- Employees who have been approved for accommodations through Human Resources
- Students who have been approved for accommodations through Student Services
- Community members who come on to campus are also asked to wear face coverings at all times.
Employees who fail to follow the procedures above may be subject to disciplinary action. Please contact Human Resources if you need more information.
Students who fail to comply with the masking requirement may be in violation of BP 5500, section 1.1: Disruptive behavior, willful disobedience, habitual profanity or vulgarity, the open and persistent defiance of the authority of, or persistent abuse of, District personnel, or violating the rights of other students. If a student fails to comply with the wearing of a mask, they should be reported to the IMS or Dean for further discussion.
I know these frequent changes are frustrating for everyone, but the District continues to do its best to keep our faculty, staff and students safe. As always, we will keep you updated with any new guidance as we get it.
Cheryl A. Marshall, Ed.D.
North Orange County Community College District
1830 W. Romneya Drive Anaheim, CA 92801